[Ti] Most expensive iTunes download (OT)

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Fri May 9 07:40:47 PDT 2003

On 5/9/03 9:12 AM, "Massimo Marino" <Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov> wrote:

> On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 02:10  PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:
>> From: Colin Buttimer <c.buttimer at mdx.ac.uk>
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Being a UK resident I haven't had a chance to purchase anything - do
>> you get
>> a text file with such details? If not, that's a distinct loss and one
>> not
>> guaranteed to be rectified by research on AllMusic, etc.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Colin
>>

> :-) iTunes does not care whether you are UK, US, EU, Japan, whatever
> resident we might think of. Only thing it cares is that the Credit Card
> you are going to use is US resident (billing address). Cannot arrange
> with a friend/relative in the US? maybe with a secured card? Very easy
> to do. (if you have that kind of friend that is).
>
> It might be the wait is not going to be *that* long to have to resort
> to these solutions.
>
> Cheers
>
> Massimo

I missed the original message, which I see you edited down - but I don't see
him mentioning much about the regional iTunes restrictions of the Music
Store.. He's looking for something that has long been lost from the sleeves
and liners of records and CD's. Yet another piece falling by the way side.

But to your answer Massimo - I do have to say that this suggestion that has
been floating around is BS. No, I do not have someone in the US who will let
me use their credit card to download some music. No I do not have a credit
card with a US address linked to it - because I, like most of the world do
not live in the US.

This IS a restriction of the iTunes Music Store.. Whether it be their
billing scheme or whatever, this is a packaged purchase process that
definitely has regional restrictions. When I launch iTunes I receive a
message clearly stating that it is not available in my country - sure it
mentions that I can use a US based mailing address credit card to circumvent
the current limitations, but I would think less than half of 1% of the world
population has one of those or a friend in the US to let them use theirs.

That suggestion is just useless. And it is not 'very easy to do'.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada