[Ti] [OT] Dead iBook (well, sort of...)

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri May 9 07:42:07 PDT 2003

>Now, the one thing I don't know what to do is the hard disk. Is
>there any way I can convert the
>20GB hard disk into an external firewire drive?

Pedro,

Yes.  You can get 2.5-inch external FW enclosures pretty cheap
nowadays.  Here's a dealmac search:

http://dealmac.com/search.html?search=2.5+Firewire+Enclosure&x=0&y=0

Getting your drive out of a functional machine can be a bit hairy,
but since the machine is down you can breathe a little easier.  There
are a couple of instruction sets explaining how to remove the iBook
HD.  Here's one that has info on how to replace the CD drive also,
but no pictures:

http://www.fif3.com/howto/archives/000040.html

One with pictures is here:

http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/

and here:

http://norum.homeunix.net/~carl/mods/overclock/#two  (Don't do the
overclocking part)

and here:

http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/ibook

Read all the instructions first to get familiar with the landscape,
then pick the one that sounds the eaisest (I used the last one - mark
your screw holes after lifting the shield!!!)

I've replaced my wife's iBook's 10 GB HD with a 40 GB drive.  It was
not fun.  But you don't have to hear my wife asking why her iBook is
in a million pieces on the dining room table, either.

Good Luck!

Peter
--
This message assembled with Eudora 5.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.6
Mac OS X: Because making UNIX user-friendly is easier than debugging windows.