[Ti] Fwd: Keyboard lay-out

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Fri May 9 12:04:48 PDT 2003

>On 5/9/03 1:15 PM, "A.J.Bos" <Arjan.Bos at icu.nl> wrote:
>> On donderdag, mei 8, 2003, at 00:19 Europe/Amsterdam, Bill Reburn wrote:
> >
>> My Apple Pro Extended Keyboard clearly has two keys to the left and right of
>> the space bar with 'alt' & 'option' printed.....
>>
>> My Ti550 has these as well, but only one 'alt/option' with an 'enter' key on
>> the opposite side.

> By the way, why did you write 'enter' (between quotes). Does Apple name it
> differently?

I put the quotes around it just to signify that it stands on its own as an
individual key. Many people mentally mix 'enter' with 'return'. Not only is
there an 'enter' key on Ti's but the 'return' key to the right end of the
keyboard - shares responsibilities with 'enter'. On a 'normal' extended
keyboard the enter key sits alone with the numerical keypad and does not
always perform the same way. Depending on what program you are using, one
has to be careful about what key is being suggested. Not that anything is
going to break, but just another one of those confusions.

Sorry, I tend to abuse quotes.. But I often use single ( '  ' ) quotes for
highlighting and double ( "  " ) for quoting. I know some grammarian on the
list is about to smack me..  8-)

>> I always hate when Apple refers to the CMD key as the Apple key, but whatever
>> - I am sure it's useful to someone. Serves up nothing but confusion between
>> multi-platform/keyboard users who haven't figured it out.
>>
>> Use 'option-apple'-H if that helps you  ;-)
>>
> It helped me, thanks

Good stuff! One more confusing point from the past is that back in the day
Apple (and maybe some other companies) used to print those weird icons for
alt/option - shift - return - delete on it's keyboards.  I always thought
the option key icon looked like a little brick going up/down an escalator.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada