more: Re: [Ti] Zeroing drive?

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu May 15 06:26:08 PDT 2003

A quick check (I rebooted in OS9) showed me that whilst Silverlining
does format the drive, it's main advantage (I remember now !) is that
it enables you to set the block size.

I think that it is normally recommended to use the Apple Utilities
for formatting drives.
Disk Utility 10.2 is what I have in OS X, that can format a disk or partition.
You can run this from the OS Install CD (if you have one...).

In OS9, this was Drive Setup (v 207 on mine).
I think this gave you several "depths" of formatting.
That is, erase, write zeroes, this kind of stuff.
The graphic below shows how it looks (Initialisation options, from
the Drive Setup menu)

To do that in X or 9, you would have to boot from a CD or external
drive and run the utility from the boot drive.

Is all that clear ?? !!

regards,  Trevor