[Ti] Lag

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon May 19 09:08:21 PDT 2003

It's a feature, not a bug.  ;-)  Fairly recent versions of OS X turn
off the sound circuitry in order to save power in the laptops.  This
happens after 30 seconds of no sound, and it takes 3 or 4 seconds to
reactivate the circuitry.  Changing the volume, even if you have the
volume feedback clicks turned off, requires turning the circuitry back
on, hence the lag.
More info at <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106766>
I can't tell you why you're having a lag with the brightness; open CPU
Monitor or ProcessViewer and see if some application is dominating your
computer.  Just because you aren't running any applications doesn't
mean that there's nothing running; a normal OS X system will probably
have about 40 or 60 processes when idle with no applications open.

"S. Moussly" <sam at moussly.com> writes:
> I've noticed that I have a pretty good lag when I want to increase or
> decrease the volume or brightness of my Tibook. This never used to
> happen in
> the past, and I am not quite sure if its after upgrading to 10.2.6. I
> have
> also noticed other lags such as in iTunes visuals. The visuals freezes
> for a
> bit every couple of seconds. This also happens when I have all my
> applications closed. I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html