[Ti] Classic problem anyone?

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu May 22 04:32:03 PDT 2003

At 12:27 +0300 22-5-2003, Ray M wrote:
>I had to reinstall 0s9.2.2 (clean install) and re run 10.2.6 Update combo.
>Now classic won't startup with extensions on. Only with extensions Off.
>
>The classic windows appears but then the status bar holds at almost 25%
>(before extensions begin to load).

Ray - never had a problem with Classic.
Every OS X upgrade seems to improve the function of Classic.

How does this new problem relate to your recent problem of the
Keyboard not working in Classic?
I thought that your clean install of OS922/OSX10.2.6 fixed the
keyboard problem, which showed that it was at the software level.

In the current situation, it seems like an extension (I presume
Quark) conflict of some kind.

If you boot in OS922, is it OK, or does that start-up hang as well?

 From distant memory, the only sure way to identify the specific
extension is a trial and error approach.
What I (used to) do is this:

- start with the clean system/OR all extensions off: everything should be OK
- start with all extensions ON, and your problem should be seen
- start with half (just alphabetic order) of the extensions ON
If the problem occurs or not, you know which half the problem extension is in

Continue with this 50/50 approach, and  this will be the quickest way
to identify the specific source of your problem.  That is what I
always did.

What you can do then, that is another question, as I do not know
Quark at all.  But presumably if you can specifically identfy your
problem (as my approach will enable you to) you could ask their
support people (or this List?) for a work-around or a solution.

HTH

regards, Trevor