[Ti] Upgraded Hard Drive in Big Al - problems

Photios Dumont photios at dumonts.org
Sat May 31 22:00:41 PDT 2003

At 8:08 PM 2003.05.31, Steve Wozniak wrote:

> I recall having the same troubles setting up an external 2.5" 80 GB firewire
> drive with the System Software DVD. CCC did work for me multiple times. I
> expect that this approach will work.
>
> You wouldn't think that something so simple and common as a larger HD would
> have such problems.
>
> It reminds me of the time the 8500 or 8600 came out - if you installed the max
> RAM (256 MB back then) the System Software CD-ROM wouldn't boot.
>

>> Steve - did you experience the same kernel panic that I'm getting whenever I
>> log out or restart? I don't recall you mentioning this in any of your
>> preveious posts.
>
> Yes, the same as you descrbe, exactly, is what I experienced. In a post to
> this list I identified it as a message to hold down the power key as I was not
> aware that this was the 'new' kernel panic.
> --

Well, here's the latest. I popped my 80gb into an external firewire
enclosure (Oxford chipset from OWC) and tried booting from it (it had two
equal partitions). Booting was no problem, just like when it was internally
installed, but I had the same problems with it when I tried to log out or
restart as a kernel panic occurred.

So, taking Steve's advice of using Carbon Copy Cloner, I decided to format
the drive back to one partition using Disk Utility. This is what I wanted
all along was one partition to begin with. Oh geez! Disk Utility reports
that I don't have an 80gb drive, but a 137gb drive (usable space of 128gb).
Fiddling around with two partitions using disk utility, I finally got a 74
gb partition that actually mounts and a 54 gb partition that won't mount
-BECAUSE  it doesn¹t exist!!! What's going on here???? I carbon copied my
60gb drive to the 74gb partition and everything copied. I tried booting
externally with the 74 gb partition and everyting works, and no more kernal
panics upon logging out or restarting.

So, I have a dilemma... Do I trust this partition and toss my 80gb drive
back into big al? I'm concerned as to why disk utility swears it's 128gb. My
other option is to put the 80gb back into big al, run disk utility and
format to one partition (internally, the computer reports the drive as being
80gb), pop the drive out again, put the 60 gb back in and clone the 60gb to
the 80gb externally, and then put the 80gb back into big al. Seems like a
lot!!! Maybe I don't need the 80gb externally to clone the 60,  but I tried
it this way when I first started all this stuff and the process failed.
Maybe that had nothing to do with anything! All this trouble for a measly
20gb!!!

Photios