[OT] WDS Airport Help

Milton van der Veen miltonv at mac.com
Sat Nov 1 12:32:08 PST 2003

I have an Airport network with two Extreme Base Stations to cover my
house. One (Base1) is directly connected to my high-speed modem and the
other (Base2) is set up as a Remote Base Station which picks up its
Internet connection wirelessly using WDS.

One of the options in the Network System Preferences panel allowed me
to select "Connect to ABS with the strongest signal" or something like
that. With that setting, I could take my PowerBook to a new location,
wake it from sleep, and it would figure out which ABS had the strongest
signal and connect to that one. It worked great. (I knew I had to make
the PowerBook sleep when I moved it or else it would stay connected and
I'd have to manually change its selected ABS.)

Since I updated my Airport yesterday, the only options available are
"Automatic" and "A specific network." And now when I move my PowerBook
it often connects to the wrong ABS and I have to manually change it
every time.

Perhaps someone on the list knows where they've moved my preferred
setting (i.e., "Connect to strongest ABS.")

Milton van der Veen