network location with Airport defaulting to turned off?

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Mon Nov 17 07:13:00 PST 2003

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has an answer that will let me go from quite
lazy to very lazy... :-)

I have a 'Home' network location with just Airport enabled, since
that's all I use at home.  I use DHCP since I have a router.

At work, I have a 'Work' location with Ethernet first, then Airport.  I
use Ethernet 99.9% of the time, but occasionally I like to just pick up
and take the laptop into the other room and keep my SSH connections,
etc. open.  Thus, I have the same static IP configured for both
Ethernet and Airport.  I can just unplug and roam and everything stays
the way it was, but is now wireless.

With me so far?

Ok, here's the lazy part.  At home, when I crack open the laptop, I'd
obviously like to have the Airport card itself switched 'on', but at
work, I'd like it to default to 'off'.  This is mostly because having
the same IP address on two interfaces causes a bunch of log traffic
with regard to ARP and partly because it's just bad practice.

The normal-person solution would be to make two network locations for
work, one for wired and one for wireless.  But that involves a location
switch when I want to go wireless.  I realize that flipping the Airport
on is about the same amount of effort as switching locations, but more
than anything, I guess I'm curious if you can set the Airport on/off
status based on the network location.  Maybe the answer will prove more
useful to someone who would like to know for a less lazy reason ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions, including to suck it up and deal :-)

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net
PGP key at http://codesorcery.net/pubkey.html