Panther network functionality

John Crane jbcrane at cranedigital.com
Fri Nov 21 07:43:24 PST 2003

Hi List,

I've been a Mac user for many, many years, and an OSX user since it was
first released.
In '99 I finally bought a WinTel machine for some specific 3D work and
since have increased my network with multiple WinTel machines-but use
my 17" PowerBook/20" Cinema Display for 99.9% of my non-3D tasks (as
well as some 3D tasks now). As a result, I use the PowerBook as a "hub"
if you will (not a server), to monitor activity on my network, which
was the original vision when buying this computer-and it works well.

However...
Over the years I've come to depend on Window's "Map Network Drive"
option.
So the question is this: Is there a way to implement these same
functions: "Map Network Drive," and "Reconnect at Startup" using
Panther? At present it seems cumbersome: I need to go into the finder,
click on Network, locate the workgroup directory, then locate the
machine within that workgroup. In the forth "pane" (the finder
"desktop" being the 1st pane) I get the connect option, SMB/CIFS
Filesystem Authentication window, which constantly has the wrong
Username entered, and I have to re-type in the password every time
despite the fact I ask it to remember it in the keychain.

This is functionality in the Windows environment that doesn't rely on
"Server" software, so I'm hoping that Apple, in it's infinite creative
superiority, has provided a way to accomplish these same tasks better,
faster and of course more elegantly. I'm looking forward to the day I
can implement OSX Server, but it won't be today ;-).
Any suggestions?

John B. Crane
Principal
CraneDigital, LLC
Visual Communications for All Media
jbcrane at cranedigital.com
+1 (970) 229-1462
www.cranedigital.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
are addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.