[Ti] Panther network functionality

gkar at mac gkar at mac.com
Fri Nov 21 08:20:57 PST 2003

On 11/21/03 10:43 AM, "John Crane" <jbcrane at cranedigital.com> wrote:

> So the question is this: Is there a way to implement these same
> functions: "Map Network Drive," and "Reconnect at Startup" using
> Panther? At present it seems cumbersome: I need to go into the finder,
> click on Network, locate the workgroup directory, then locate the
> machine within that workgroup. In the forth "pane" (the finder
> "desktop" being the 1st pane) I get the connect option, SMB/CIFS
> Filesystem Authentication window, which constantly has the wrong
> Username entered, and I have to re-type in the password every time
> despite the fact I ask it to remember it in the keychain.

Once you have mounted the drive to the desktop you can make an alias of it.
Double clicking on the alias will bring up the correct user name and all
you'll need to do is enter the password - or you can have the password saved
to the keychain. I haven't tried logging in and out to see if it worked
properly, but I was able to add that alias to my startup items.

I do this logging into the servers at work (one is Novell and the other
Win03) as well as individual Macs at home and work. I've never tried it with
my PC at home - I always connect my PC to my Mac since I never seem to want
to pass information from my Mac to my PC. Just the other way around.

david
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

gkar at mac.com