[Ti] 10.2.8 - finger pointing

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Wed Oct 1 10:59:12 PDT 2003

On 10/1/03 12:48 PM, "John McDaniel" <johnmcd at one.net> wrote:

> I'm on your side in this exchange regarding the senseless accusations,
> finger pointing at Apple, talk of class action, etc., but you must
> admit one thing:
>
> Apple built it's reputation on "ease of use"

Agreed. But Apple's "ease of use" is compared to Windows or UNIX -
Computers, Macs included, are not, in fact, "easy to use".

My toaster is "easy to use". Computers can and often are fiendishly
difficult to use.

> and furthered that concept with the Automatic Update.

A flawed and ridiculous concept, IMO, and something I turn off at every
computer I have the opportunity to sit in front of. I also recommend to our
listeners they turn it off.

> You get the picture. It's a serious gaff by Apple. One that hurts them
> in many ways.

Agreed - and one Apple should apologize for.

But, in our litigious society, one they can't *afford* to apologize for,
unfortunately.

Believe me, Apple is thorough embarrassed by this update and the halls of 1
Infinite Loop are filled with people both getting their heads handed to them
on a platter and by people working feverishly to fix the problem and repost
the update.

> One wonders about the breadth of their beta testing pool
> in terms of hardware and configs.

Well, Even Microsoft can't recreate every possible user configuration in
order to completely test their software and hardware.

Shawn King
On this week's Your Mac Life -
Adobe & Daystar!
http://www.yourmaclife.com