[Ti] Battery Life-Fact or Fiction

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 8 21:54:37 PDT 2003

Like it or not, it's industry-standard practice, and it's very unlikely
it'll change any time soon.  Since everybody uses their computer in
very very different ways, it's hard to benchmark a battery.  I have
certainly gotten very close to, if not over the 4.5 hour rating on my
17" PowerBook.  On my iBook, I left it unplugged and running one time
for about 7.5 hours; the display was off, but the hard drive was
spinning the whole time, which eats up a fair amount of power.
However, if you crank up the backlight, or if energy saver is set to
not drop performance when on battery, or if the hard drive is set to
not go to sleep (or you just use it and it doesn't go to sleep), you'll
get a lot less battery power.  Other things that drain a lot of power
are the optical drive, most things that plug into the computer (USB,
FireWire, DVI, VGA).  I'm not sure exactly how significant the power
drain of Airport is; the actual wattage used to broadcast the radio
signal is almost zilch; however, many times that amount of power are
needed to run the airport circuitry.  The processor is also a HUGE
drain, if it's being used a lot.  For that reason, I keep a CPU monitor
in the dock all the time; when something is monopolizing the CPU, I can
try to correct it before my battery starts getting used to heat my lap.
  Similarly, the graphics chip will drain more power if it's under heavy
use.

There are literally hundreds of things you can do to extend your
battery life, but if you really really have problems with your battery
running out, either buy a second one, or carry your power adapter
around with you.  I go between work and classes all day; charging at
work, using it on battery in class.  I've never run out of battery
anywhere, and I sometimes will use it for several hours plus a class or
two between chargings without getting too close to running out of
power.