[Ti] AOL only does HTML

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Oct 9 15:30:25 PDT 2003

>>What AOL does to the developer community is no different; so when you speak highly of them, remember, they are throwing their garbage in our yard.

>I fail to see how  AOL is "dumping garbage" in your yard  solely because they don't cater to your whims.  They don't cater to  mine, and I don't consider them dumping garbage in my yard.

AOL does not cater to anyone. Our point is that they do not follow Internet standards. They make life difficult for any other Internet user. Web designers have to do things differently if they want AOL users to be able to use their site. Mail server administrators have to dance around AOL's proprietary needs. All users have to remember that they must do things different when sending mail to an AOL member. Receiving mail from an AOL member has unique needs as well. Attachments are problematic.

All of this will sound unclear to you as you are an AOL user. It all just seems to work for you. But when you step out of the AOL world, you will begin to see why the rest of the world hates AOL.

These sites are from ex-AOL users. They've experienced AOL. Where there is smoke, there is fire. (You might have a bit harder of a time finding Mac bashers who create "I hate Apple" web sites so there must be a difference behind the bashing.)

http://www.cancel.ws/next.shtml
http://home.att.net/~jack.beale/aolreasons.htm
http://www.isomedia.com/homes/vertical/aol.htm
http://anything.no-clue.net/woffaol.html
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Strand/6247/AolPage.htm
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

- William Allen White