[Ti] smtp mac.com server nightmare <--allcaps adj.

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 1 11:14:28 PDT 2003

cbirds paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Now that we all know how to get rid of unwanted SMTP servers, here
>is another problem.
>Every so often, the mail will not go through using my legitimate
>SMTP server and will offer to send it via mac.com...........and I
>don't know how to get it to stop. Why can't it just say, there was a
>problem, mail will be put in outbox?
>
>I resent enough that mac.com is built into the system so tightly,
>thus seeming to want to force me into joining it at every twist and
>turn, but I am also getting sick of being asked to use it when I
>never added it to my  list of smtp or when I have deleted it a
>zillion times.

Those two problems (to which I'd add the fact that iDisk sign-on pops
up when all I want is to access Super Get Info from the keyboard) are
part and parcel of the fact that Apple is a monopoly as far as its
own users are concerned. Yet it is still a lot more friendly, and
configurable, than the alternatives: In linux you might want to
launch any one of three 'desktop GUIs', depending on which app you
want to run, and in Windows, it's far worse. I have Opera (paid) set
as my default browser in Win2kPro, in VPC, but IE wants to take over
at any opportunity.

>I think this mail.app has a ways to go before it is an acceptable
>mail program as good as OE or Emailer was. But since my work is
>dependent upon working with clients through email and then directly
>to what I am doing, it would be nice to have a reliable one like
>Emailer was when I am coding on this machine.
>
>Otherwise it's back to Emailer on OS 9 and to heck with seeing PHP
>render, I'll just have to keep Fetch open and do it that way.

I don't follow all that, exactly, with the php. Why not use Eudora
and have it dump incoming php docs to a 'watched' folder in BBEdit?
You can set BBEdit to format/syntax check and import/export as
CodeWarrior, or nearly anything else. it would allow you to remain in
OS X, and you could give Mail.app the old heave ho.

Even if Mail 'catches up' with Emailer (which I doubt will happen in
my lifetime), none of them is as feature-rich and configurable (i.e.
as 'powerful') as Eudora (the latest beta of which roars in OS X).

~flipper