Options for a busted display

Geoff Hopson ghopson at mac.com
Mon Sep 8 04:58:42 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have a Rev A TiBook, 500MHz, 512Meg RAM. It has served me very well
over the last 30 months, and has taken the proverbial beating. Best
laptop ever! But in the last two months the display has broken very
badly. I get a bizarre pattern of narrow vertical lines or some strange
"starburst" patterns on the screen. This makes the machine unusable in
"portable" mode, although I am able to use the machine perfectly well
if I connect an external monitor (thus proving it's the display and/or
cable, rather than the display board).

It used to be an intermittent fault, but now I whenever I turn on the
machine, the display shows these symptoms.

Anyone know if this is easy to repair, if so, how much, and is it worth
it (no Applecare/warranty left)?

Thanks,
Geoff

--