[Ti] Burning DVD's on 867 MHz 15.2"

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 8 05:16:46 PDT 2003

Robert Radler paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>I'd like to burn and author DVD's on my new Powerbook, which
>unfortunately doesn't have a Superdrive.
>
>I've heard rumors that it's possible to use iDVD (which I have) with
>third party burners, like the LaCie unit, which is available at the
>Apple Store.
>
>Has anybody been able to do this?  I'm hearing that there's some
>freeware on the internet that allows this workaround.  (a rep at the
>Apple Store whispered this to me on the phone)
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm, it was my understanding that iDVD only shipped, or would be
downloaded (legitimately) with/to Macs with SuperDrives. Anyway, the
patch surfaces from time-to-time in all the usual places.

Two caveats:

One, the most commonly circulated patch is call DVD_Enabler_X_OWC
(that's the 'famous' Other World Computing patch that Apple issued
the cease-and-desist letter over) but it only runs under 10.1.5 (not
Jaguar),

and, Secondly, the other patches (on a french website) involve
replacing an item in the iDVD pkg Contents, under OS 9 (too
convoluted and not prone to consistent results).

There is an updated version of the OWC, but the best way to find it
is to use groups.google search.

~flipper