[Ti] Titanium screen spasms! Epilepsy?

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Tue Sep 16 16:33:18 PDT 2003

> For the last week or so, my Titanium 500 has been experience screen
> spasms. What happens is the a part of the display twitches, then
> spasms, then starts freaking out in a schizoid display. It almost
> seems similar to when I used to run the old display tests under Norton
> Utilities. It lasts for varying lengths of time--the longest about 5
> secs. Others are shorter in duration. The problem seems to be getting
> worse.

I have complained about a similar, and very infrequent problem like
yours. Mine, however, was unprovoked.

One possible, albeit very improbable cause:

USB shorting

While I never mentioned it, the times I had the weird screen
flickering, I had an MS optical wheel mouse plugged in. Now, the mouse
went through "alot" of abuse, and like the Apple Pro Optical mice, has
the nasty habit of developing a short at the front of the mouse. This
one, however, developed one at the USB plug. From time to time, the
mouse light will go out, and I need to move the cord around into a
better position. A system restart stopped the problem. Perhaps you
should try unplugging all unnecessary hardware. I have my doubts that
this simplified explanation really explains what is going on.

However, my problem hasn't gotten worse - my Ti only had two bouts of
it. Once, many months ago, and just recently, last month. The last bout
lasted until I restarted, the first only happened a few times.

If you have AppleCare, take it in. Wait at the Apple store so the
"genius" can take a look at what is happening. Or, get a camcorder, and
video tape the screen.