[Ti] ques. re powerbook TLC

David david.powerbook at firemail.de
Thu Apr 8 12:12:04 PDT 2004

On 4/8/04 2:10 PM, "Malcolm Hamilton" <malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca> wrote:

> What should I own and run, to keep my powerbook in perfect running condition?
>
> I'm planning on getting Disk Warrior.  Is this all I need?
> I have MacJanitor and Cocktail.  Are they both necessary?  Do they do
> the same things, or does each do something special?
>
> Is there something else out there that does something that none of
> the three above programs do?
>
> I don't necessarily want an arsenal of ten or twenty programs - - the
> simpler the better I've always believed - - but I want to give my Ti
> the TLC it deserves.

Cocktail and MacJanitor are essentially the same program...Cocktail is a
little fancier I think but MacJanitor does the job.

DiskWarrior is a one trick pony - and a very good trick it is - but I'd also
recommend a 'full service' utility program as well. TechTool is good. Many
people argue that DiskWarrior and Apple's Disk Utility is sufficient and I
tend to agree but also like the extra functionality of TechTool. (I am
heavily biased against Norton Utilities and there's no need to go into the
ins and outs. I simply will not spend another penny with Symantec.)

I strongly recommend a backup program and since my 'Book sits connected to
an external drive on the weekend, I use DejaVu to run a scheduled backup of
my home folder every Saturday at noon. It is a wonderful program that makes
backing up painless. Also very valuable is SuperDuper for cloning a drive
and making disk images.

david