[Ti] ques. re powerbook TLC

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 14:09:15 PDT 2004

Malcolm Hamilton typed this message on 4/8/04 2:10 PM:

> What should I own and run, to keep my powerbook in perfect running condition?
>
> I'm planning on getting Disk Warrior.  Is this all I need?
> I have MacJanitor and Cocktail.  Are they both necessary?  Do they do
> the same things, or does each do something special?
>
> Is there something else out there that does something that none of
> the three above programs do?
>
> I don't necessarily want an arsenal of ten or twenty programs - - the
> simpler the better I've always believed - - but I want to give my Ti
> the TLC it deserves.
>
> Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to have a close look at TechTool Pro 4. The latest version
(1.0.2) is such a huge improvement that it has taken over from DiskWarrior
for my use. It does the same as DiskWarrior (Rebuild Directories) and it now
does it just as fast.  But also does a lot more. It will check many of your
hardware items, check the fitness of your drives and Optimize your files -
and if you have a bit more time - it will Optimize your free space as well.
It also monitors your drive as you work and will report if it sees anything
amiss (something that DiskWarrior claims to do but has yet to work properly
on my powerbook).

jg