[Ti] hot power adaptor (square white ones) for TiBook

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Fri Apr 9 10:27:42 PDT 2004

On Apr 9, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> Can anyone shed light on the following issue?
>
> I have a G4 titanium powerbook (1 Ghz), and a couple of weeks ago the
> [white square] power adaptor broke down -- the light (indicating
> charging/charge) at the end of the adaptor stopped working, and the
> adaptor was very hot and smelt burnt.
>
> I got a replacement from Apple under apple care, but now I've noticed
> the replacement is running hot too when the machine is on and
> charging, although it still works currently.  Is there likely to be
> anything wrong with my laptop?  Apple didn't seemed to know much about
> this, and suggested I send it in for an engineer to look at, but I'd
> rather not lose it for a few days just yet.

In my opinion they generally run pretty hot.  I am on my third adapter
since buying my PowerBook in late 2002.  They generally last about six
months in my experience... and at $80US a pop they aren't cheap :-/  I
am being cautious, biding my time, and hoping someone initiates a class
action suit at some point in the future.  They should have lasted
longer, and we should be reimbursed.  Fortunately my first replacement
was within my one year warranty.

Out of curiousity, who has had one of these boxes fail in this manner?
Please reply (and with how many)... I'm curious.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net
PGP key at http://codesorcery.net/pubkey.html