[Ti] AC Adapter

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Mon Apr 19 19:01:39 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 03:48:20PM -0700, Anthony Connors wrote:
> Has anyone noted a fraying problem with the TI Power
> Adapter? Will we be shipping it back to Apple like we
> did with the G3 one?

Yes.  But AppleCare (and Executive Customer Relations) refuse to
acknowledge a problem with the adapter.  I've got one sealed, in the
box, brand new, with receipt, that I bought before I sold my 1GHz
TiBook for my 12" AlBook, and they refuse to exchange it for one without
the design flaw that causes the fraying, even though one AppleCare
employee admitted to the problem, admitted that, for a while, they were
replacing them on a call-in basis, and even provided me with the part
number of the faulty adapters, and thæt of the adapter that was
redesigned to replace the bad ones.

(flaw:  661-1798  fixed: 661-3048)

My wife's had to have her TiBook adapter replaced 4 times for this exact
problem (along with her logic board twice, her SuperDrive once, and the
machine came back from AppleCare assembled incorrectly, so much so that
there are case gaps and the PCMCIA slot cover doesn't sit right anymore,
and it now beeps when it's put to sleep.  She's seriously considering
dumping Apple.)

I was so disgusted with the entire fiasco, I've vowed never to buy an
Apple product again.  Kind of sad, since I've been a customer since the
Apple ][ days, and spend about $10k/year of personal funds on Apple
products.  I've got two base stations, two iPods, two PowerBooks, three
Apple ][s, and numerous Apple-branded software products in the house
right now.

But Jean Toulouse didn't feel like returning my calls, Patrick Ekstrand
seemed unconcerned, and I had to call Robin Roberts about 30 times
(literally -- I kept a log) before I got her on the phone, and she
flatly refused to admit there was a problem, stated they would not be
replacing my adapter, and that was the end of it.

I'm still tempted to drive over to 1 Infinite Loop and return the
adapter in person along with a formal letter explaining that their poor
service regarding the matter marks the end of my long-standing custom
with Apple.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org