[Ti] AirPort Update 3.4.1 is still buggy

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 19:28:59 PDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 9:06 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
> My 17" Powerbook is still acting very poorly even after doing the
> 3.4.1 udpate.
>
> I am 12 ft from an Apple Base Station, and 20 ft from a D-Link access
> point. I'll have 4 arcs in the menu after connecting to a signal and
> then 20 seconds later, my AirPort will drop off completely and I won't
> be finding *any* signal. If I turn off the AirPort via the menu bar,
> and turn it back on, I can then again see the AirPort signal but it
> will drop off again within minutes or seconds. This bahavior is
> different than with 3.4 or 3.3.1 but even though I can seemingly
> instantly see the AirPort signal, it still then drops off within
> seconds or minutes. So frustrating. :-( Thankfully I keep a 50 ft
> Cat-5 cable handy.
>
> I had previously updated to 3.4 but had to go back to 3.3.1 to
> maintain any decent connection. Even after having gone back to 3.3.1,
> I wasn't having the best of luck catching and staying on the signal,
> but with 3.4.1 the signal drops to nothing and comes back full strong
> even more frequently than 3.3.1 after the 3.4 initial problem. Befor
> the 3.4 update I had great consistent attachment to my network.

Man, that's a shame.  My 17" powerbook did not have any difficulties
after 3.4, but after 3.4.1 there was only one difference I noticed--my
airport extreme base now consistently has a stronger signal strength
than the old linksys router.  This has never been the case, not even
with 3.4.

So, I guess people ought to be cautious with this update too, even
though it was okay for me. :-/

Benn