[Ti] Re: Hinge Help

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 15:13:59 PST 2004

Jason Warm <jasonwarm at gmail.com> wrote:
>OK, I need to see if anyone out there is going as crazy as I am over
>these *&^%ing hinges.  Oh, guess I should specify, what I mean is the
>common failure of the screen hinges on the PowerBook G4 Titanium.  As
<snip>
>anyone out there heard of a 3rd party selling pre-fabricated "ad-hoc"
>type of hinges similair to the ones referenced here.
>http://www.photo.is/titanium.html

Ouch, that guy gave a good go of it, but that's a little too butchered
for even me!

You can buy brand-spankin' new Ti hinge pairs for US$90 from eBay vendor
ibiricu. All TiBooks use the same hinge parts.

They're not difficult to replace, the two main issues are opening the
display without destroying it, and gluing in the new hinges. See my page
for some (hopefully) helpful and relevant infos:
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tibook_display.html>

I still don't have every detail up, but it should at least give enough
basic info. Frankly, if you can't figure out any missing details, you
probably shouldn't do it yourself anyhow.

Oh BTW, eBay vendor bobsbid1 has a number of semi-tested
complete-with-hinges displays for BIN US$149, sold as-is however. Garbled
description, but probably 1152x res for pre-DVI 'Books though they should
work in DVI 'Books too.

hth,

dan k

PS: I have no interest in either of the above eBay vendors, but I have
purchased from both without problems.

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500