[Ti] Running Cool - additional suggestion

Bill Planey mac.info at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 19 18:52:24 PST 2004

One thing that I've been using since 2002 is a Kamas powerbook stand, so my
machine is always elevated (at home at least) and the underside breathes
well.  Even so, the fan comes on occasionally, especially when doing
something like burning a DVD or saving a huge photoshop file.  (My machine
is a TiBook 400 with 768 mb RAM and a 7200 RPM drive.)

A certified Apple technician friend of mine suggested the additional step of
opening up the keyboard and leaving it open while working.  This works for
me because I use an external keyboard most of the time.  It is unsightly,
and you should not do it if you are clumsy in a drink-spilling way, and you
need to be careful of the fragile ribbon cable attached to the keyboard...
But when I do this the fan NEVER comes on no matter what is being processed,
no matter how warm the ambient room temperature is.  I am sure that this
precautionary step is one of the reasons I've never had a problem with my
TiBook.

It only takes a second to snap it open or closed (I don't bother tightening
the clear screw that has the Num Lock light in it anymore).

Bill Planey