[Ti] 1st Gen. 17" v. SACD CD layer

Wesley Griffin wgriffin at fraktured.net
Wed Feb 11 07:41:10 PST 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 9:21 PM, Dave Morrison wrote:
> Wesley wrote:
>> Just as another data point, I've got a UJ-815 Firmware D0CB in my
>> Rev.A
>> 12" Al. It played the CD portion of the Norah Jones SACD Hybrid just
>> fine.
>
> FWIW, the firmware in my '815 is DWDB. I've been curious if the
> firmware updaters out there on the web <http://superdrive.cynikal.net>
> would solve the SACD issue or not. I'm not about to screw up my
> warranty by doing this. After all, who'd want to screw up the lovely
> relationship I have with Tech Support now!? <BG>

Yeah, that's the original firmware on mine as well, mainly because I
don't want to fiddle with my warranty, especially after having just
bought applecare.

>> DVD-Audio on the mac sucks right now. I'm actually looking at the
>> reverse: encoding high-res streams into DVD-Audio and burning onto
>> DVD-R. I haven't found a single application that does any DVD-Audio on
>> the mac.
>
> Here's the other "fly in the ointment". I left the PC platform (not
> completely, btw) because I was always told how multimedia-friendly the
> Mac platform is. I suggest you go find a friend with a PC because
> these guys <www.minnetonkaaudio.com> have been doing DVD-A and
> multichannel audio software for a while now. They are still fairly
> pricey but, if you click on the Diskwelder Bronze link on the right
> side of the page, you'll see a $99 authoring program for DVD-A that
> will put this technology within my reach. Now my 24/96 location
> recordings won't have to be SRC'd and dithered down anymore (other
> than what I make for friends!).

Yes its frustrating to me as well. I even emailed Minnetonka about them
porting to mac, didn't get any reply back :) However, I have heard of
people successfully running Minnetonka products under Virtual PC, and
using DVDSP to burn the discs. I'm waiting for Bronze to come out so I
can try it out at a cheap price (and see if Toast would do the burning,
as DVDSP is a lot for just doing DVD-A).