[Ti] PCMCIA card for Ti - any success stories out there?

Macintosh info mac.info at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 09:40:53 PST 2004

I have the FinePix PC card adapter which handles the Fuji/Olympus jointly
developed XD-Picture Card as well as SmartMedia.  I have had the occasional
kernel panic, but only when my system has been in need of maintenance, or
there was some badness (i.e., bug-ridden) software installed.  If the
computer is behaving strangely, I'd say you have chances for a kernel panic
anyway, card or not.  At least repair permissions.

I always make a point to properly eject the card through the OS, rather than
just manually eject it when I'm done with its contents.

Anyway, I have a TiBook 400 running Panter 10.3.2 and this card has behaved
beautifully since even before Jaguar.  I have never tried a SmartMedia card
in it though, only the XD.

Bill

BTW, the XD format very small (the size of a large thumb nail) and is slated
to go to 5 gig in the same form factor. It will be very cool to install an
entire OS on one that could be used in situations requiring battery power,
so that the internal HD could be unmounted and not used, thereby conserving
battery by not having any power-consuming read-write actions.  Very cool...