[Ti] Ti hinges (again !)

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:03:43 PST 2004

I'd say that the hinge design change was motivated much more by outward
appearance than anything else.  The way the hinges stick out in the
back on the Ti isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing.  If they were
fault-prone, Apple would have made a change in the design with one of
the Titanium revisions, such as thickening or widening the metal.  The
Titaniums were reworked inside several times for various reasons
(increased cooling, making better use of available space, making the
hard drive upgrade easier, etc.).  If it had been perceived as a
problem, the hinge design could have undergone some minor changes;
however, all models use the same hinge.