[Ti] Recovery options

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Mon Jan 26 11:27:01 PST 2004

>Any recommendations on firmware locks for the future? I remember previous
>powerbooks had a lock built into the Forth firmware is this still available?

Yes.  You can download Apple's Open Firmware Password Utility here:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/openfirmwarepassword.html

When active, it forces the user to use only the boot system set in
the Startup Disk pref pane.  Users cannot use the keyboard to force
the system to boot from a CD, boot into Firewire Target mode, or
other keyboard-forced situations.  Holding down the option key at
startup brings up a text box into which you enter the firmware
password, allowing you to boot from CD's or other partitions as
needed.

Hope this helps (hope you're using OS X).

Peter

p.s. You can also set an open firmware password while in open
firmware if you run OS 9 only.  Info here:
http://www.macosxlabs.org/documentation/ofpw_tool/intro.html

--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.3.2