[Ti] Airport and Ethernet connections

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Tue Jun 1 21:45:25 PDT 2004

on 04/06/01 13:25, David DelMonte at ddelmonte at mac.com wrote:

> I use an airport bs to connect at home to the net. That is fine. It
> provides lousy connectivity to my home server (G4 desktop) though.

You mean that it only works at max 11 Mb/sec (old Airport) or 54 Mb/s
(Airport Extreme) whereas your ethernet should be 100 Mb/sec (100BaseT) or
1GB/sec (gigabit ethernet)?

The airport is not "lousy connectivity".  It is "not as fast" as the wired
Ethernet.  I presume you are transferring a lot of huge digital video files
and want them done in a hurry?

> I've
> tried shutting off all the 2.4ghz stuff and implementing other tips
> I've been given on this board.

You mean turning Airport off?

> So, I'm trying to figure out how to configure both an airport
> connection (to be used for internet access) and an ethernet connection
> that will be used for file sharing. I cannot figure out how to do that.
> Step by step instructions for this aging hippie will be most welcome.

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  In your System Preferences >
Network, for your "Home" location, or whatever you call it, put Ethernet at
the top of the list, and Airport second.  Then, it will use the faster
Ethernet whenever you have the ethernet cable plugged in, and airport
otherwise.  Of course, whenever you want a fast transfer of huge files, you
must plug the ethernet cable in.