traveling overseas need tech advice

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Sun Jun 13 19:00:09 PDT 2004

Hi all,
Any of you experienced travelers to Britain and continental europe
(France, Belgium, Spain etc..)
please speak up.  Here's my question.

My daughter plans on traveling for a year in these places (hostels for
accomodation).

Basically she wants to keep a journal, do some photography, email and
keep her online journal uptodate.

I am wondering about things like.

1. Film or digital camera use (they both have their advantages and
disadvantages)
Film - fast, less concern for storage, battery recharging etc..
Digital - instant feedback, can share directly with little cost
etc...but battery recharging, storage cards etc..

2. I am wondering if I should provide something like an iBook(used/new)
  for her to write, email, keep her online journal uptodate
(she does this at home to some extent already and knows the experience)

Of course there are multiple variables in here.  Access to internet
connections-cost, safety of toting a laptop around,
camera setups, etc...

Anyone with experience photo-journaling around Europe in a non
professional manner please post something.

Hope some of you can provide some sage advice.

cheers,
tim