[Ti] [semi - OT] Tiger - Core Image Graphics

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 13:02:43 PDT 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 1:41 AM, Tristan Gulyas wrote:
> From the readme on the developer preview, it lists a requirement of
> having a built-in firewire port.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html
"The performance gains and features supported by Core Image ultimately
depend on the graphics card. Graphics cards capable of pixel-level
programming deliver the best performance. But Core Image automatically
scales as appropriate for systems with older graphics cards, for
compatibility with any Tiger-compatible Mac.

Supported graphics cards:
	▪ 	ATI Radeon 9800 XT
	▪ 	ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
	▪ 	ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
	▪ 	ATI Radeon 9600 XT
	▪ 	ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
	▪ 	ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
	▪ 	ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
	▪ 	NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
	▪ 	NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

These cards are available in today’s PowerBooks, Power Mac G5s and both
the 17-inch and 20-inch iMac."
(Leander has quoted some sections of this before)

That means that the previous revision of Powermacs (when the 15"
Aluminum was released) will fully support Core Image, but the first
generation of 12" and 17" powerbook will not.  I'm curious about what
they mean by "scaling" also.  Hopefully with a GeForce4 440 Go and 64MB
of VRAM, it will still run reasonably well.

Ha, and I was SURE my 17" powerbook would be fully supportive of
Apple's new technologies (sans 64-bit stuff) for the length of my
AppleCare.  I guess it's good that Apple is able to make such great
leaps in software where only the newest hardware can fully take
advantage of.

Benn