[Ti] Using G4 Desktop as a server to my Powerbook

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sat May 22 13:18:03 PDT 2004

On 22/5/04 6:10 pm, "David DelMonte" <ddelmonte at mac.com> wrote (in part):

> Can you all suggest ways in which
> my G4 can be a server to my PB?

Depends on your habits/interests, some ideas could be to use the G4 as a
file server, MP3 server (iTunes) for the AlBook and Hi-Fi systems in your
house, email and internet server (proxy), Fax server, or anything that
requires huge disk space such as pics...

> I use airport connections to the internet. Can you use Ethernet for
> file transfer and airport for internet connection?

Yes, for example, if you use Airport with DHCP and Ethernet with a manually
given IP (and they are different!) this will work and allow the best speed
transfer for files from the G4. I did this last week with an
iBook/AlBook/Snow ABS, though I had to change the 'share your connection
from xxx' settings to another type of connection than was being used (even
with internet sharing off).

You might want to try using airport for everything though if possible, if
you have an airport extreme base station and they have a 100/1000T-Base
connection? and you can connect the G4 to that then unless you have a very
fast internet connection (something like 1 Mbps DSL) this should still
transfer both internet and files at a decent rate without the wire and
configuration detail hassle above.

HTH,

Richard