[Ti] [OT] Floppy problem

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Mon May 24 19:03:45 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004, the following words from Roger Snyder
rogersnyder at pobox.com, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>    My experience with making floppies (having made many back-ups before I
>moved on to other means) was that in a set of disks, even if you checked
>them right after backing up, 1-2% would be bad within the week, some more
>within  months, and at least 5-20% if kept for six months.

Kind of makes you wonder why diskettes are still so widely used for
backup. Before using Zip drives and Syquest drives I backed up to hard
drives as soon as I could afford one of a decent size - which I think was
a mere 170MB. I only used floppies as a second backup method and would
stash those floppies in a container with a tight-fitting lid in my closet
and wouldn't disturb them unless it was absolutely necessary. I can only
remember one bad disk, but most I never pulled out again after verifying
that the documents I copied were all there. I still have boxes of them I
haven't decided what method to use to destroy them.

My husband had a lot of them go bad - I told him it was because he kept
trying to use them over and over. I'd never write to them more than
twice. I just bought my first CD-RWs and am wondering how many times I
can rewrite to them. I've always bought the regular CD-Rs, so this is
really making me remember how distrustful I was of floppies.

cheshirekat
--
The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more.

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.8 * 768 MB Ram *