[Ti] Re: Microsoft standards - was :Browser Troubles

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Nov 23 22:03:11 PST 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 2:54 PM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Is there a professional way we can approach these deviant
> (non-standard-compliant) sites ?  Somewhere to refer them to, as to
> how to correctly write and set-up a site to be standards compliant?
> Rather than just sending a rude letter?  So that we can contribute to
> a better web future.

Complain to their developer, his/her supervisor, and who ever else
controls the situaiton, and complain loud and often.  My ISP, Charter
Communications, used to have a support site that would only work with
IE on a PC.  Try to load the support site, and it would attempt to
install some software - ActiveX stuff I suppose.  If you didn't have a
"compliant" browser you'd get a message that your operating system or
browser wasn't supported.  Ironic coming from a support website for an
ISP.

I got a little miffed over it and called support just to complain about
it.  The excuse was that "most of our customers use Windows".  My reply
was "Well, you got some that don't.  What ya' do about it?"  I think I
called a dozen or more times in the span of six months or so.  They
gave me a "case number" because I couldn't get the support site to work
and couldn't access the settings for my personal webpage site.  Every
time I called I gave them that case number and told them my issue still
is not resolved.  Finally one day I got a tech who said they'd had so
many complaints that they were changing the site.  And the guy I talked
to actually used Mac OS X.  About two weeks later the Charter support
site started working for me on both linux and Mac OS X, with any
browser I wanted to use.
--
Chris