[Ti] apop and Panther Mail.app

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Oct 4 06:23:33 PDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Justin R.Miller wrote:

> I wonder if a dump of the traffic of the session would help convince
> the ISP?
>
> I've heard that qpopper (a mail server software) comes with the APOP
> enabled even if you don't have it setup:
>
> http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-26843.html
>
> Maybe you could try IMAP instead of POP?  It should behave pretty much
> the same for the user, and won't have an option for APOP.  There would
> be slight differences, but it might be an acceptable alternative.

This is assuming that the ISP's servers will allow connections outside
their IP pool.  I can make a WAG that's probably closer than what the
tech support came up with: mac2's friend has an IP that's not in their
pool because she's on an external network.  Mail.app initiates a
connection on port 110, the initial handshake takes place, then the
connection times out because the server decides this is somebody who
shouldn't be connecting on port 110 and drops the session.  My WAG is
that when she gets back home, everything will work "normally" again.
Most ISP's have some sort of HTTP interface to their POP and IMAP
services these days to get around this problem when you're away from
home.  Evidently, this ISP does not.
--
Chris