[Titanium] accessing networks

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Sep 14 10:13:03 PDT 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 7:05 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
> Now a new academic year has started, and now I am using 10.3.5, and I
> find that I cannot easily access these PC any more.  My own PC has the
> IP address 140.140.100.163, but even with this specific information, I
> am not able (using Apple-K) to connect to this server...... so what
> was trivial in terms of file exchange, does not even work now.
>
> I almost get the impression that the networking under 10.3.5 is
> inferior to the networking functionality under earlier versions of OS
> X.  I know that does not sound likely, but I am sure it is possible.

Nothing has changed between versions.  There's one thing you need to
check, though.  In /Applications -> Utilities -> Directory Access,
authenticate, select the SMB option, and make sure you're on the same
workgroup as the rest of the machines.  Without this setting being made
Windows (XP especially) will reject your attempts at connection, and
you won't be able to see shared printers either.  Also, and I'm sure
this is redundant, make sure you have Windows Sharing turned on in the
Sharing pane of the System Preferences.  Unchecking that box, and
rechecking it, restarts the Samba daemons also.
--
Chris