[Ti] Almost loaded Panther off the PC card...

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Sep 15 10:57:02 PDT 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> ........you have to be in control of every router and switch in
> between client and server - which just isn't possible in the public
> internet.  So, like many things (AppleTalk and Rendezvous are other
> examples), you generally have to be on the same subnet

Very true.  I think it would take better than a day to do one with a
typical 1 Mbps cable internet connection anyway because it's not all
done in one big download.  You boot the client with a NetBoot image to
get it running, then let it "discover" the upgrade image, which
installs the files on the client hard disk.  On gigabit ethernet it's
about as fast as installing from CD/DVD.  But on 100 Mbps ethernet it's
_considerably_ slower - two to three hours.  And if something times out
it hoses the upgrade and makes the client un-bootable from the local
hard disk.  You have to reboot from the NetBoot image and start over.
--
Chris