[Ti] Almost loaded Panther off the PC card...

b syrflip at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 15:43:08 PDT 2004

Chris Olson paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Very true.  I think it would take better than a day to do one with a
>typical 1 Mbps cable internet connection anyway because it's not all
>done in one big download.  You boot the client with a NetBoot image
>to get it running, then let it "discover" the upgrade image, which
>installs the files on the client hard disk.  On gigabit ethernet
>it's about as fast as installing from CD/DVD.  But on 100 Mbps
>ethernet it's _considerably_ slower - two to three hours.  And if
>something times out it hoses the upgrade and makes the client
>un-bootable from the local hard disk.  You have to reboot from the
>NetBoot image and start over.
>--
>Chris

Well, the 'local' idea has a lot of appeal over here. That's for sure.

  Someone, elsewhere, said that even putting a new Super or Combo
internal drive in, even from Apple, wouldn't be a guaranteed boot
drive. Or is that a 3rd-party issue, something about licensing, or
was it just someone trying to make me feel worse about it all?

~flipper