[Ti] Titanium only?

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 17 17:53:47 PDT 2004

At 19:29 -0500 17/9/04, Chris Olson wrote:
>On Sep 17, 2004, at 7:21 PM, Mark Gibson wrote:
>
>>Rename (or refocus) the PowerBook list to cover G3 and earlier PB
>>(dare I say it but called Pre G4 PowerBooks).  And rename the Ti
>>list to cover G4 and newer (perhaps called Post G3 PowerBooks) .
>>
>>You could go for a 68XXX (from the Portable to the Duo - or
>>whatever) / PowerPC split but that is probably just as confusing.
>
>Or how about having one PowerBook list for machines that are able to
>support the latest version of OS X, and another one for those that
>can't?  If a person owns a machine on the bottom end that finds
>him/herself not able to run the latest incarnation of OS from Apple,
>they'd naturally gravitate to the "old" PowerBook list, as those
>users would have a whole different set of issues than the more
>"current" machines.
>
>Just thinking on my feet, which is never a good thing :-)
>--
>Chris

Except that there is no clear delineation in terms of list names as
to which list caters for what machine.

So one week you are on the "latest" list and then a week later (post
Tiger or whatever) you are relegated to the "older" list,

If you define one list as "G3 and earlier" (or whatever) then the
person trying to run Tiger on their Wallstreet still knows which list
to look at, comforted by the knowledge that this list is frequented
by fellow Wallstreet owners running 8.1 through to Tiger.

Whereas, following your suggestion, if they post on the latest list
the may well be overlooked by everyone else who is running 10.4 on
their dual 2Ghz G5 PB (well I can dream can't I).

If you split by OS, 9.2.2 and earlier Vs 10.0 and later, then where
do classic related questions go?
Regards,

Mark (}-:

AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

ON DATING
When aiming for the common denominator, be prepared for the occasional
division by zero.