[Ti] Re: MPEG, was "Re: Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400"

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 14 13:52:36 PST 2005

Actually, as far as I'm aware, most recent video cards have built-in
MPEG-2 decoding support, which OS X's DVD player is using.  They are
designed specifically for DVDs, and access to the video card is
difficult, so any MPEG-2 decoding other than a DVD is done in
software.  Some video cards also include MPEG-2 encoding, or MPEG-4
acceleration.  A GPU is not a second CPU that's just dedicated to
graphics; it has lots of specialized features that are only useful
for special-purpose graphics operations.  That's why the video card
in my G5 has about 220 million transistors, when each of the G5
processors only has about 58 million.

So, DVD MPEG-2 is all hardware (plus a bunch of CPU overhead).
Everything else (Apple's MPEG-2 playback component for  Quicktime,
for example) is software, as you noted.

EyeTV also uses MPEG-2; I have an EyeTV 500 for receiving HDTV.  It
will run on my PowerBook G4 17"/1 GHz, but only at about half the
normal frame rate.  Elgato says that a 500 MHz G4 or better is
required for HD MPEG-2 decoding, and a dual-processor G5 is required
for full frame rate, full resolution HDTV.  Of course, DVDs are lower
resolution than HDTV, but even my 500 MHz Ti never struggled on a
DVD; hence, evidence that the DVD is using hardware acceleration.

I'd bet that the video card in your DVR contains MPEG-2 decoding, and
that the PowerPC 750 is at 90% just from all the overhead of moving
the data around and such.