[Ti] Blown power supply

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Sat Feb 19 20:47:19 PST 2005

--On February 19, 2005 08:58:56 PM -0600 John Lyon <jelyon at mac.com> wrote:

> While checking the specs printed on the power supply for my TiBook 550,
> there was the crack of a short circuit, a flash, and the sweet sweet smell
> of ozone.
>
> The result is available as a closeup picture at: <http://tinyurl.com/4cmaj>
>
> I'm curious if anyone else has heard of or seen or experienced something
> similar. And, if so, what Apple might do about it, and what the proper
> course of action would be.

Apple will replace the unit if it's still under Applecare, which it probably
isn't if it's a TiBook 550. They may replace it anyway, but are probably
under no obligation to do so.
The power cord is a coaxial cable with a center conductor and a rather
fragile shield mesh. It can easily get damaged from frequent twisting back
and forth. There appears to be a failure of the center conductor insulation
and a short occurred, probably with a frayed piece of the outer braid
conductor.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com