[Ti] [OT] iPod Shuffle

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 14 16:55:25 PST 2005

<sigh>
Folks, welcome to the genius of viral marketing.  While the iPod
Shuffle footnote alone could be interpreted as the doing of an anal
retentive lawyer, the evidence suggests it's more than that.  Have you
noticed how many people all over the web are all of a sudden saying
"Hey, check out this funny footnote..." with a link to the new page?
It's all over!  People are sending out a flurry of E-mails and posting
it all over the web.  Sheer marketing genius.

Why do I say marketing?  Well, take the other footnotes available:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/
"Keyboard, mouse, megaphone and display sold separately."
(megaphone, referring to the cheerleader-style megaphone on the right
bottom of the page, with a link to "tell a friend about the Mac mini")

http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html
As has already been mentioned on this list:
"Keyboard, iPod mini, dock, hands, AirPort, Bluetooth and PC sold
separately."
(hands referring to the hands holding the Mac mini at the top)

Up until at least Thursday, the Design page had a couple more similar
remarks - though it seems to have been removed, there was a graphic of
7 Mac minis stacking up next to a typical Wintel-looking tower.  It was
alongside the "Pint-sized Perfection" paragraph.  I checked Apple's
Spain website, and the graphic was still present there, though missing
a humorous remark or two at the bottom.  I don't recall exactly what
they were, but one said something along the lines of "Mac mini stacked
by professional photoshop artist" and encouraged people to not stack
the mini or stack things on it.