[Ti] G4/400 Freezing Constantly

Tristan Cunningham triscunn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 22:29:56 PDT 2005

Hello all, I'm new to the Mac world as of 07/01/2005 with the purchase of a
used Powerbook G4/400 (Mercury) laptop...

I wiped the hard drive clean and installed a copy of Jaguar (10.2) and
downloaded an update to 10.2.8. The computer will not run for five minutes
(except tonight I was able to push it for about two hours, but not using it
constantly) without freezing! The memory was upgraded by the previous owner
to 384MB (original 128MB + 3rd party 256MB stick).

I don't know what other information to give -- ask and I shall tell. What
are some of the problems people have encountered over the years with these
machines freezing on a seemingly random basis (does not seem to matter what
program is being used)?

----
And while I'm at it:

The owner lost the original CDs that came with the computer, so I cannot
install 9.1 - but if I need to upgrade the firmware to 4.1.8, how would I do
so?