[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

C Glass cdomig at earthwave.net
Thu Jun 9 13:43:59 PDT 2005

Things are very interesting when change is dominating the horizon. Apple has
stated that the future is where the need for the move to Intel came from.
They inferred that the engineering that they want to pursue is going to
cause a heat problem with the PowerPC chip usefulness (amount of
instructions per amount of heat generated). In other words the future Intel
chips will be vastly superior to the future PowerPC chips. That's a good
thing.

Unfortunately many Apple "experts" here have said that this move is really
because Steve is desperate to make money or is out maneuvered by IBM and its
new gaming console partners or worse is just a typical marketing liar.
That's a bad thing.

Gordon Moore projected that the number of transistors on a computer chip
would double every two years. That is an Intel thing. They have more than 10
billion planned for 2012. That is a problem.

Heat - the by-product of the ability to pack more and more transistors and
other circuitry onto chips - is creating a host of problems that could, if
they become severe enough, threaten the growth of the existing
silicon-valley economy. That is an Apple problem.

Cupertino, we have a solution. Optical connections via silicon lasers.
Super-computers came from exotic semiconductors like gallium arsenide and
indium phosphide (God bless Seymour Cray). These chips are mega (really big)
expensive. Silicon laser optical connections add the new capability to
manipulate and respond to light to silicon chips. Until now that was an
impossible thing.

Intel has figured out how to make cheap and easy to manufacture optical
devices out of silicon. Apple and Intel together can now work on designing
replacements for copper wires using silicon optics. Wow cooler and faster
networks, really increased clock speeds, and that is a good thing.

Where is my poster - "Remember the Crazy Ones - Think Different".
CDG