[Ti] what "Think different" means

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Jun 9 16:14:36 PDT 2005

At 23:46 -0700 8/6/05, Steve Wozniak wrote:
>Switching to Intel doesn't reconcile well with
>what "Think different" means to most of us.

Steve - I think this statement of yours somehow
sums up many of our reactions - that suddenly,
the Mac is no longer different.

It caused me to reflect on the aspects of the Mac
that we thought were different, and how these
will be affected by this change.  My analysis
concludes that we are still on the positive side.
It also leads to a proposal for a 2-tier product
strategy.

What made the Mac different, in my view (as a Powerbook user), was:

1.  the industrial design (I hope we lose none of that)

2. the cutting edge hardware eg FW, screen, slot-drive (may not be affected)

3. the OS (hoping this will go from strength to strength)

4. the performance, which we understood was due
to the superiority of the PowerPC chip

Perhaps it is only the latter aspect that we are
going to lose.  If the Intel pathway to the
future includes some decent chips, maybe the
situation is not as bad as we initially thought,
upon the announcement, which made us all think of
x86 history.

It may also be that the chip architecture becomes
less important once we have very high levels of
performance, and 'most' people are not pushing
the performance envelope.  With the car analogy:
does it help to know that my new car has a top
speed of 145 mph conmpared to your car which has
a top speed of 150 mph, if we really need to
compare behaviour in a land where the speed limit
is 70 mph?

It still irks me, however, to know that we are
knowingly moving in a direction that seems
inferior.

Do we imagine that we could end up with a 2-Tier
offering (a sort of Toyota or Lexus analogue), in
which a PowerPC chip is offered to a discerning
or demanding client segment ?

If Apple offer the right development tools for
compiling applications for either, it could be a
feasible strategy.  Then we would have Macs for
the existing type of customer, and Macs for the
masses, we could say.

It works for Toyota.  I even see that Dell are
thinking of this 2-tier offfering now.  Their
current mass product and a product for the more
discerning buyer.  So market segmentation
thinking is just starting up in this market
place.  Apple could implment such a strategy very
well from where they are now, and where they are
going.

regards,  Trevor