[Ti] Invisible Airport issue

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Mar 9 12:40:04 PST 2005

At 10:23 +0100 9/3/05, Guido Walter Pettinari wrote:
>First of all, hi everybody! This is my first post in the list;

welcome, Guido !

>if you can't understand something it's surely my fault because my
>English is pretty awful.

I think it is very clear to me,  Much better than my Italian !

>I've got a Titanium 800. I have been thinking
>  since I bought it that there was no airport card mounted.

the card does not mount on the desktop, as PCMCIA cards do... so you
may have just drawn a wrong conclusion

>Yesterday I opened the case of the Titanium and I found a nice card
>with "AIRPORT" written on it.
>
>I guess it's the Airport card.

I can only assume so

>The problem is that Mac Os X can't see the card.

Do you have the latest Airport software installed ?  Are you running 10.3.8?

In System Preferences / Network, select Airport.

Tick the box "show in menu".

Then select that new menu item, and turn the Airport card ON.

That is how you can see if it is working or not.

Some grey bars should appear in the menu, which go black if there is
a wifi source nearby (eg in Starbucks). You do not need to pay to
connect in order to see the signal strength.

>  In system profiler I got the message "No info found" under the
>Airport tab. When I use the Airport Setup Assistant I got "No
>airport card installed". The card itself is plugged correctly inside
>the laptop, with the antenna firmly inserted.
>
>My warranty is over, do you think it's worth to pay somebody to
>sovlve the issue? or should I buy an external wireless card?

I think "substitution" is the apprach to finding out the root cause
of the problem.

Do you know someone with a similar Powerbook, so that you could put
your card in his Powerbook or his card in your Powerbook, and see
what happens?

Or a friendly Apple shop who would do that as a favour to help you
identify the problem?

Let us know your next steps/findings.

regards,  Trevor