[Ti] Hibernate on your non-brandnew Mac

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Sat Nov 19 17:13:17 PST 2005

I just came across:

Hibernate on your non-brandnew Mac
http://matt.ucc.asn.au/apple/machibernate.html

And was immediately excited.  One of the only things (in fact, THE
only thing) that my Dell does better than my Powerbook is Hibernate
mode.

I ran the 'enable-safe-sleep.sh' script from that site (it's part of
the "few scripts" link), followed by 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode
1'.  I rebooted (per instructions) and then logged in and closed the
lid.

The light never started flashing (which I guess is how it is supposed
to work).  I waited a minute or two and then reopened it and saw the
progress bar (*) exactly as expected.

/var/vm/sleepimage is 1gb on my system (1GB of RAM on a 15" 1.5Ghz
Powerbook)

WHOO HOO!  This is great news!  I hardly ever shut my Powerbook lid
except when going from work to home or vice versa, so this will come
in very handy.  I'll happily wait for it to wake up (takes about 50
seconds in my brief testing) in exchange for a true hibernate.

Plus I won't have to worry about Overbearing Stewardess who insisted
that my Powerbook had to be OFF and not just ASLEEP.  Because, you
know, if that lid popped open during takeoff, the whole plane might
come down.  Oh yeah.  It could happen.  I mean, the only way I could
possible conceive that it might happen would be if the lid popped
open as I was rushing the cockpit with my laptop in hand and
bludgeoned the stewardess and flight crew to death with it.  And I
wouldn't do that, of course.  The damage it would cause the Powerbook
would not be covered by AppleCare.

Anyway, I pass this on as a THANK YOU to Matt Johnston who figured
this out and posted it, which I learned about from http://
daringfireball.net/2005/11/fmj_addenda which I read through
NewsNetWire.  Just so much Mac-y goodness.

TjL

(*)  PowerBook G4 (Double-Layer SD): Progress bar appears after
waking from sleep