[Ti] The reason we use Macs instead of PC's (long)

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Nov 22 14:02:18 PST 2005

Chris Olson said:

>It's called "educated opinion".

Thanks for the reminder. I think I meant in my initial response when I
said "You believe so." that it was an educated *opinion*, but the term
eluded me at the time. Nevertheless, I accept your educated and informed
opinion as such, but I won't regard it as the end of all discussion nor
as the only possible route regarding the future of Macintel.

>The technical reasons:

As a long-standing Mac zealot I agree on all of them, but I can only
think that there were solid reasons Apple used when making the decisions
for migrating to Intel despite the technical reasons you present here are
solid. For whatever reasons, faster processors have been lacking (what OS
X could do with the G5 was a letdown for me and many friends). However as
you said, other reasons may have been more critical for Apple.

>once you enable 64-bit pointers in the x86 ISA, everything; drivers and
apps, must be 64-bit.
You can't imagine that Apple/Intel could handle this problem and come up
with some kind of more or less elegant solution? Or do you rather think
Apple have accepted the consequences and hope their customers will do the
same?

I want to compliment you for having the patience to stay the course and
explaining your standpoint really well. Great inspiration to me.

Mikael

"(Steve) Jobs has told interviewers over the years that, in a fast-
evolving industry like computers, you can't just "give people what they
want" because people don't necessarily know what they want -- and what
they tell you they want today may not be what they actually want at the
end of the two years it takes you to build it to their specifications."
--Wired Magazine