[Ti] Re: Powerbook MacIntel...(OT)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Nov 29 06:48:40 PST 2005

On Nov 29, 2005, at 1:53 AM, Mikael Byström wrote:

> Well, I can just say that he agrees with you on altivec, but he is
> still not happy. His main gripe lately has been that the graphics
> bus is way too slow for his 3D-work in Maya (aimed at movies).

Maya is an excellent example of what happens when you port software
written and optimized for one platform to another.

> Also he lacks serious 3D renderfarmtype hardware that can tie right
> in with Mac hardware.

If your friend is a motion picture 3D artist, he's on the wrong
platform totally.  Linux all but dominates in Hollywood and motion
picture production.  Even Pixar's Renderman was ported to OS X from
linux on x86.   It's one of those things where linux just took over
quietly, and nobody noticed:
http://linuxtoday.com/high_performance/2003100201126OSBZHE

IMHO the Mac is like a 3-legged horse doing that type of work because
there's no decent software for it.
--
Chris